To my first born son, on your first birthday,
As we near your first birthday, there are so many things I want to tell you. I don’t know if I will ever fully be able to describe how much love I have for you, or how much happiness you have brought into my life. However, I hope that years from now you can look back on this letter and get a glimpse into what life was like for me during your first year. So my son, my love, this is a letter to you on your first birthday.
When we first met
The day you were born was the best day of my life. Each day that passes, I realize how incomplete my life was until you entered my world. You came into this world with ease. You were strong, and sweet, and cuddly from the start. You had wonderfully chunky cheeks, and a full head of hair. We bonded instantaneously. When I held you close, I knew that I was a completely different person from the woman who checked into the hospital. I vowed to be there for you for the rest of your life, whatever you needed.
We left the hospital and entered the next phase of our life. Your Dad and I did what we could to make you as comfortable as possible in your new home. We certainly made our mistakes, but we eventually figured you out! You just wanted to be swaddled tightly, nice and cozy. You brought joy to the whole family when you were an infant. You wanted to be close to us at all times, and we brought you everywhere we could.
The happiest baby
From the day you were born, to your first birthday, you were always so happy! You are a people person, and want to be around everyone. You have the most hearty laugh, you smile from ear to ear, and you love getting hugs. If you see me laugh, you laugh, and it is simply the best feeling in the world. Leaving you even for an hour is so hard, because I miss your smile more than anything. We have been so blessed with you because you bring joy to everyone that meets you.
Your Mamas purpose in life
The past year with you, has been the best year of all. I didn’t know what my purpose in life was until you came into this world. I realize now that being with you, seeing you grow each day, and guiding you throughout life is my purpose. I wouldn’t trade anything for every moment we spend together. I want you to know that every decision I make, I make for you.
Watching you become the little boy, and eventually the man you are meant to be gives me no greater happiness. I can’t wait to watch you run around, play sports, go to school, make friends, learn from your mistakes, and conquer your life. You are already such an amazing boy with such rare qualities. Anything you want to accomplish in life you can, if you want it hard enough. I will be right there supporting you with every decision you make.
My promises to you
As I am writing this letter to you (my son) on your first birthday, I wanted to share my promises to you:
- I promise to always trust you, no matter what. If you tell me something, I trust that we have a strong enough bond that your word is the truth above all.
- I promise to be your #1 fan. Whatever you decide is your passion in life, I will be your biggest supporter. If you put your mind to anything, you will succeed. You have that in you now, and it will only grow.
- I promise to help guide you in your faith. God has brought you into this world, and I will help you find him in your life.
- I promise that I will create a home that you miss when you are away, and love being at when you are here.
- I promise to always ask you questions to understand exactly how you are feeling.
- I promise to never judge you (because I have been there too), and to help you through all your challenges.
- I promise to push you when you need it. Sometimes tough love helps you grow into the next phase of your life.
- I promise to take a step back when the time has come, and let you become the man you are meant to be.
- I promise to not show you my tears as you grow up and go to school, make friends, and enter the world.
- But above all, I promise that no matter how old you are or how far you are, you will always be my purpose in life. You will always be my greatest love.
My wish for you
So, my son on your first birthday, I have wishes for you. I wish that you will continue to be kind, compassionate, and forgiving. Life is so much more enjoyable when you see the good in people, and the world around you. Be kind to others, but most importantly be forgiving to those who may have wronged you. I wish that you grow up at your own pace. Take things slow, and enjoy each phase of your life. Be your own man, and create your own story. Don’t let other people make you feel like you should change who you are. You are strong, stay like that.
Most importantly, I wish you know that I am one phone call away. No matter the time, day, or distance, your Mama will be there. You are the greatest thing in my world. But pretty soon, the rest of the world is going to see how truly special you are too.