Today and Always
My mother said something interesting to me the other day. She said, most people are living now the way she always did. Whenever she would take us out, she would always clean and disinfect with baby safe cleaning products, all areas we were exposed to. That really resonated with me. We are all learning such a valuable lesson right now. Disinfecting and overall cleanliness is extremely important to our health. Let’s not let these habits be forgotten quickly when our world returns to the way it once ways.
Ok ok, off my soap box. With that, I wanted to share my top baby safe cleaning products. Especially during these times when we find ourselves cleaning a million times a day, we want to make sure we are using the best baby safe cleaning products. We never want to expose our little ones to unnecessary chemicals that could put them in harms way.
How bad are regular cleaning products?
If you are using regular cleaning products, they are most definitely not baby safe. There is a laundry list of reasons why you need to check the ingredients on all the products under your sink. I guarantee you there will be harmful chemicals in all of them. Some basic chemicals to look out for are:
- Volatile Organic Compounds
- Perchloroethylene (PERC)
- Sodium Hydroxide
- ethylene glycol monobutyl acetate
- Trisodium Phosphate
Okay so those are some big scary words that I can’t pronounce. What I really want to know is, what is this doing to my health? Why do I need to make sure my cleaning products are baby safe? Here are a FEW top side effects:
- Irritate eyes, skin, throat
- Irritation and tissue damage from inhalation
- Depresses central nervous system
- Fatal if swallowed
If I had any old cleaners, they are now in the garbage!
Now that we can all agree we need to make sure our cleaning products are baby safe, let’s take a look at what makes a product “baby safe”.
- Plant based, not petroleum based
- Free from all the ingredients listed above (parabens, phthalates, tricolsan, 1,4 dioxane, formaldehyde, chlorine bleach, SLS (sodium lauryl sulfates), or SLES, phosphates, synthetic dyes, synthetic fragrances, harsh solvents, VOCs)
My top 5 baby safe cleaning products
*Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, this article contains affiliate links where I may receive a small commission for any purchases. I only review products that I use myself.
Here are the top 5 products in my main categories:
- All purpose cleaner: Better Life Natural All Purpose Cleaner
- Windex: Earth Friendly Products Window Cleaner
- Shower cleaner: Method Daily Shower Spray Cleaner
- Dish Soap: Berkley Baby Green Natural Soap
- Floor Cleaner: Begley’s Hardwood Floor Cleaner
Lastly, here is another great resource for you from the EPA. You can search all products and categories to make sure they meet the above criteria. One final option for you is to make your own clean supplies!
As a safer cleaning alternative, warm water and soap often will do the trick, especially at home. Baking soda is good for scrubbing. A mix of vinegar and water can clean glass.
Let me know what you decide and choose for your family!
If you liked this article, check out my must have products for pregnancy!